The Global Trends in Giving Report is a biennial research project that seeks to gain a better understanding of how donors prefer to give and engage with their favorite causes and charitable organizations.
Top 5 Key Findings for Canada and the US were
1. 57% of donors in Canada & the United States are enrolled in a recurring giving program, up from 46% in 2018. 94% prefer to give monthly, 3% weekly, 2% annually, and 1% quarterly.
2. Email continues to grow in its power to impact donors in Canada & the United States. 33% say that email is the communication tool that most inspires them to give, up from 31% in 2018.
3. Only 18% say that social media is the most inspiring, down from 25% in 2018. However, Facebook and Instagram Fundraising Tools are increasingly powerful. 40% have donated through Facebook, 12% through Instagram.
4. 34% of donors in Canada & the United States give through crowdfunding and 10% create peer-to-peer-fundraising campaigns, down from 36% and 16%, respectively.
5. 33% donate to NPOs located outside of their country of residence. The top 5 countries are Australia (8%), India (7%), Israel (6%), United Kingdom (6%), and Kenya (5%).
Interestingly, 63% of donors prefer to give online and 57% are enrolled in a recurring giving program. With Giving Tuesday coming up soon, it is worth noting that 26% gave on Giving Tuesday 2019. with a credit or debit card.
In keeping with other research on the correlation between giving and volunteering, 68% of donors in Canada and the United States volunteer with NPOs and 76% donate to the NPOs they volunteer for.
As we continue to move into uncharted territory in 2020, these trends clearly demonstrate the importance of social media and digital giving in North America.
To download the full report, click here.
With 50,000+ monthly visitors and more than one million followers on social networks, Nonprofit Tech for Good is a leading online fundraising and social media blog for nonprofit professionals worldwide. You can reach them at nptechforgood.com